Swiipe services use product recommendations to increase your webshops average order size and revenue.
To make the best use of these services (such as Plus-sell, or Return-sell), you must make sure there are some predefined product recommendations that Swiipe can use.
There are several ways to define product recommendations, see more in our guide on How to set up Product Recommendations. Custom product recommendations can be used on its own, or in combination with other product recommendation setups we mention in the guide.
Here is how to set up custom product recommendations in Swiipe settings:
- In your webshops admin panel, navigate to Swiipe settings > Product recommendations
On WooCommerce: WooCoomerce > Swiipe Settings > Product recommendations
On Magento 2: System > Swiipe > Settings > Product recommendations
On Prestashop: Modules > Module manager > search for Swiipe > Configure > Product recommendations
- Ensure to select the store for which you wish to set up custom product recommendations.
- In the section Custom product recommendations, click Add product ID and type in the ID of the product you want your customers to see among product recommendations. Repeat this for each product you want to add, until you have provided IDs from all of the products you want to use as product recommendations.
Where to find the product ID?
In the page where you can see an overview of all products, there is usually a column called ID - this is the value you need to provide as a Product ID in Swiipe custom product recommendation settings.
It might look like this:
- In the setting above Choose when to show custom product recommendations, select the option that suits you best:
Are you using any other product recommendation setup?
If no, select Show only custom product recommendations for all orders.
Do you want to use custom product recommendations as an alternative for orders that might not have any defined product recommendations?
This is a "backup" solution to ensure there are always some recommendations to be shown for all orders and all customers, regardless what products they are purchasing. It could be useful in such cases as:
- Having cross-sell products set up using native platform, but not for all products in the store - when there are no cross-sell products selected, custom product recommendations will be used instead;
- Using a professional recommendation engine tool, but there might be certain categories or products for which chosen strategies don't work or there are no relevant products to be used as recommendations - in those cases custom product recommendations will be used instead;
- When products used as recommendations become unavailable (run out of stock, etc.) - custom product recommendations will be used instead.
To use this option, select Show only custom product recommendations if no cross-sell products are set-up
Do you want to use custom product recommendations in addition to other recommendations?
You can also use custom product recommendations together with any other recommendations that you have. This would not only ensure there are always some recommendations to show to all customers regardless of what products they buy, but you could also use it to promote chosen products.
To use this option, select Add custom product recommendations to existing cross-sell products
- Save the settings by clicking Save changes button.
To get the best results using custom product recommendations, we strongly encourage you to pick cheaper products that could be relevant, useful or are well-liked by most of your customers. It is much easier to say yes to a pack of socks after buying a pair of shoes, than to say yes to another pair of shoes or an expensive bag. The likelihood of your customers purchasing these extra products is directly related to how good the recommendations are, and how well it fits the customers needs and wants in the moment of purchase.
You can add up to 20 custom product recommendations, but it is often better to have less but better fitting product recommendations.
- If you sell small electronics, chose items like batteries, chargers, mouse pads and protective gear for custom product recommendations;
- If you sell paint, choose brushes, protective tape and paint cleaners for custom product recommendations;
- If you sell clothing and accessories, chose simpler products like tank tops and hair accessories for custom product recommendations.
And you are ever in doubt - reach out to us and we can help you figure it out.